Jinzaburou Kuchii (朽井迅三郎, Kuchii Jinzaburō) is the male protagonist of Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki. Once a retainer of the Kamakura shogunate, he is one among many people who have been sent to Tsushima Island as exiles to fight against the Mongolian Empire.
Jinzaburou is a Japanese male of average height and weight with long black hair, which is often tied up, and small black pupils. He also has a long, flowing scar that starts from his forehead and down his left eye, ending on his left cheek. Jinzaburou is often seen wearing exile clothes, which consist of orange rags with no footwear. On other occasions, he is seen wearing a set of armor given to him by Sō Sukekuni, the leader of the Sō clan that oversee Tsushima, and is said to be a famed attire for those who are exceptionally skilled in combat and dedicated to protecting the island.
Jinzaburou was formerly a well-known retainer affiliated with the Kamakura shogunate, which ruled Japan from 1185 to 1333, and was hailed as a master of the Gekei sword art which was said to have been used by the famous Minamoto no Yoshitsune during the Genpei War. He was revered as a remarkable war leader and excellent samurai swordsman, famed for leading a war against a number of barbaric pirates numerous years prior to the beginning of the series.
It was said he had multiple wives during his lifetime, but claimed one woman and his daughter stood out to him, unlike the rest. It was reported that both of them died to an illness while Jinzaburou was not present.
Just before the beginning of the series, Jinzaburou was imprisoned in Hakozaki and scheduled for exile to Tsushima. At the very start, Jinzaburou and the other exiles are caught up in a sea-storm on their way to Tsushima Island. The exiles have a brief squabble between each other and the guards, but are quickly settled by Jinzaburou himself. Once the exiles arrive, they are quickly notified on why they have been sent to the island as exiles; to fight against the invading Mongol forces.
Skills and Abilities Edit
- Gekei Sword Style: A form of kenjutsu which is said to have been used by the famous Minamoto no Yoshitsune during the Genpei War. It is a well-known fact that Jinzaburou has mastered this sword art.
- Strategic Knowledge: Jinzaburou has demonstrated numerous times in the series that he is extremely knowledgeable of war tactics and strategies, and is skilled at thinking them up while in a pinch. This was shown when he objected to Sō Sukekuni's strategy against the Mongolian armies, as well as Magistrate Nagamine's strategy to defend the Toibarai castle against approaching Mongol forces.
- Excellent War Leader: Jinzaburou was revered as an exceptional war leader during the war with the pirates numerous years prior to the beginning of the series. He is able to easily increase morale during times of dispute and anger, and skilfully lead his men into battle. He is also capable of leading small units that are able to disturb large enemy forces and even deal irreparable damage to them.
- Katana: Jinzaburou wields a katana, famous for its use by samurai in Japanese history.
- Yoshitsune's Short Sword: Given to him by Shouni Kagesuke, this short blade is said to have belonged to Minamoto-no-Yoshitsune himself, and eventually given to one of Shouni's ancestors as a gift.
- Sō Armour: Jinzaburou also wears a set of armor given to him by Sō Sukekuni, the leader of the Sō clan, which is only to be worn by the strongest of warriors who have dedicated themselves to protecting Tsushima Island.
- Kuchii, which is Jinzaburou's last name, is not an official Japanese last name and does not exist on any major records. Its existence as a clan in the series is also fictional.
- The Gekei Sword Style in the series is used by Jinzaburou as an exceptional kenjutsu and was also noted to have been used by the famous Minamoto no Yoshitsune. However, there is no such thing as the Gekei Sword Style and thus has never been taught or used by Yoshitsune.